Sunday, July 18, 2010

Truthfulness...

Thought process of the day has been about Truthfulness. Within Yoga there are ethical disciplines of life called Yama; the Yama I speak of today is Satya which is defend as truthfulness. To speak that which is true.

It was said to me at the beginning of my "professional" career by a mentor, that in order for one to be successful, one must have the ability to prevent others from walking over you. Being young and easily influenced, I took this to heart and integrated this thought process in my way of life.

With this ingrained in me and solidified by my successes, I've attempted to maintain a high level of honesty and truthfulness within my life. Understanding that I have the ability to be straight to the point, blunt and completely honest this quality has been a valued asset. Through out my "professional" career, the need for strong integrity within my being assisted in the success and acceleration within my path by staying truthful. This leads me to the concept of the phrase "black and white." Can one maintain truthfulness by stepping in the gray area? For me, the definition of "gray" can be associated with "sugar coating." Does sugar coating the true, take from Satya? Do you lose integrity by not being completely honest and sugar coating the truth to spare feelings?

Now, living as a Yogi I understand more of Satya; that with love, compassion and respect in the heart leading ones intention of truth, Satya can be maintained.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps "gray area" is simply that space where Someone elses Truth resides. My concept of "truth" in a situation may not be yours simply because we all see through our own filters. Does that make "my truth" untrue? Or yours? And does speaking w/compassion and respect automatically become "sugar coating to spare feeling"? I believe if it is spoken out of respect, with true compassion and no agenda, then Satya is maintained. Namaste' my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put...

    thank you for sharing.

    Namaste'

    ReplyDelete